Your Nav Bar Here

Wednesday, October 13, 2010


We've lived in our house almost a year now, and I have a confession to make... there is almost nothing on the walls. Maybe it's because of our time in college dorms or apartments, but I always think twice {or 3 or 4 times} about putting something up. Probably, it also has something to do with my fickleness (a word?) I am constantly changing it up in here! Well I've decided it's far past time to get some things up on the walls, and so, slowly but surely I will be posting my DIY art here. Today I tackled a small project in the kitchen. There's not much wall space in our narrow galley style kitchen, and we're planning to remodel this summer, so I needed something easy, and cheap that I could change when the mood struck me. Just like most of my projects, this DIY was not my own idea - but I cannot remember where it came from in order to give credit. As soon as I figure it out I'll post the site.

I decided to paint the word l o v e above my kitchen entryway...
to remind myself, when I look up {from cooking, scrubbing dishes, mopping floors}
of the reason I'm doing these things!
But I might want to change it, right? So I used a chalk pen instead!
First, I printed out the letters in the size I'd want them (above)


next, I cut them down to size... not perfectly, just smaller



then, color the back of the letters with regular chalk



tape in place



press firmly to trace over the letters. it works better with a pencil, a pen's tip is too fine.



remove the paper and you will have a faint outline like this one



then just fill it in with your amazing Chalk Ink pen and you have this...



sure, if you have great penmanship you can just write it without all the hassle, but mine's atrocious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Liz. It does take a lot of love to work in the kitchen. I like this project and it has inspired me to make my project complete as well. I want to paint a piece of wood to put scripture on it above my bedroom doorway to go along with my pine wood bed rails and dresser. yay. bernice

The other Liz said...

I could spend hours reading whatever you write & marveling at your many creative endeavors. Love the love!